A few ways to use essential oils:
- Use a carrier oil to massage into your skin
- Add to a bath or shower – known as vaporized
- Use in a diffuser
- Ingest them – only some are safe for this process!
Expert aromatherapist Liz Fulcher, owner of the AromaticWisdomInstitute.com had this to say for anyone interested in aromatherapy:
Anyone who is just beginning to use essential oils are in for a treat because of their amazing healing properties. However, just because they are natural doesn’t mean they don’t have some safety concerns. To get the most benefit and enjoyment from your essential oils, here are a couple of things to keep in mind as you are learning to use these beautiful aromatics for self-care.
- Purchase from a reputable supplier who has had professional training and can comfortably answer any question you ask about essential oils.
- Since they are very concentrated substances, dilute essential oils in lotion or carrier oil such as Jojoba before applying them to your skin. Proper dilution helps protect against topical irritation or other common skin reactions. I always recommend 6 drops of essential oil to 1 ounce of carrier.
- Never ingest essential oils, especially as a beginner.
- Before using essential oils on children under 6 or with a pregnant woman, seek the advice of a Professional Aromatherapist. You can find one through NAHA.org (National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy).
- Get some good basic information from aromatherapy books at your local library or bookstore, or spend time in the NAHA.org website which is a great source of free information.
By following just a few safety precautions with essential oils, you will begin to notice positive health benefits. A few benefits include reducing anxiety and stress, helping manage headaches and muscle pain, and helping you drift off to sleep.
Resources to start your aromatherapy journey:
- Aromatic Wisdom Institute is Liz’s site and she provides a ton of information as well as training on how to become an aromatherapist.
- Aroma Talk is another online resource where you will find informative articles and all kinds of helpful tips on incorporating essential oils into your daily life. They’ve been around since 2008 and are one of the top aromatherapy blogs.